How to protect yourself from cyber attacks, privacy breaches and more
Technology has simplified everything, from how we work to how we shop and do our banking. But the things you can do now at the click of a button may increase personal risk and exposure to cyber attacks.
Hackers are getting more sophisticated, and the accidental release of personal and confidential information can be a nightmare. So how can you protect yourself from potential cyber attack exposures?
RNAO wants to give you peace of mind with its cyber liability protection (CLP) exclusively for members as an automatic membership benefit.
Subject to the terms of coverage and policy aggregate limit, the program provides the following key benefits:
Third-party protection includes:
First-party protection includes:
Provides reimbursement to an RNAO member (with the insurer’s prior written consent) on monies paid to terminate or end a security or privacy threat.
Provides regulatory liability expense (i.e. payment of fines, penalties or compensatory damages) and regulatory defense expenses (legal fees incurred with insurer’s prior written consent) in the event of a regulatory proceeding brought against an RNAO member by a regulatory authority alleging negligence due to a privacy and/or network security breach caused by an RNAO member.
Provides reimbursement to an RNAO member on notification expenses such as legal, postage, and advertising when the insurer deems that payment of such expenses will mitigate a claim, or when incurred to comply with a legal or regulatory requirement to notify an individual as a direct result of a privacy breach.
Provides reimbursement to an RNAO member on costs incurred in assisting an individual (including by providing credit file monitoring services and/or identity theft assistance) following a privacy breach.
Provides reimbursement to an RNAO member on costs incurred to protect or re-establish its reputation or public image to the extent that it is likely to be damaged, or has been damaged, as a direct result of a privacy and/or network security breach.
- Eligibility of coverage: To be eligible for coverage, an RN or NP must be an RNAO member in good standing at the time the privacy and/or network security breach took place, or at the time the extortion demand was made.
- RNAO CLP is all encompassing protection for RNAO members – it extends to both your professional services exposures as a practising RN or NP and as well to your personal exposures (i.e. a ransomware attack on your home personal computer).
- RNAO CLP provides each RNAO member with an annual aggregate limit of $25,000 per policy period, regardless if an insured loss triggers coverage under one or more than one section.
- Where applicable, coverage is for both legal costs and damages.
- RNAO CLP will provide protection on covered losses which have occurred as of Nov. 1, 2016.
- A deductible of $1,000 will apply per covered loss.
- Territory is Canada.