RNAO celebrates National Nurse Practitioner Week 2022
This year’s National Nurse Practitioner (NP) Week is Nov. 13 – 19, 2022. RNAO is proud to represent more than 2,000 NPs and commends each and every one of them for improving health equity and increasing health access across Ontario.
On Nov. 15, RNAO will host its annual NP Knowledge Exchange Symposium. This year’s theme is “Leveraging NP Leadership Through Crisis and Beyond” and will feature top guest speakers and opportunities for discussion. In addition, NPs will hear greetings from Minister of Health Sylvia Jones and Minister of Long-Term Care (LTC) Paul Calandra.
Alongside its members, RNAO celebrates the results of its advocacy with the recent announcement of 225 additional NPs for Ontario’s LTC sector and an increase in NP seats at universities.
In February 2021, RNAO’s NP Task Force released its Vision for Tomorrow report, which outlines the following eight primary recommendations for the government to implement:
- Increase the supply of NPs across all sectors and settings.
- Optimize the utilization of NPs within current scope of practice.
- Expand the scope of practice for NPs.
- Align NP curriculum with expanding scope of practice.
- Harmonize NP compensation across all sectors and settings.
- Invest in research to support NP practice and improved health outcomes.
- Optimize access and continuity of care by ensuring all insurance benefit carriers, and other such payers, accept NP services analogous to physician counterparts.
- Showcase impact of NPs through public education campaigns to advance full utilization of NPs across all sectors and settings.
NPs are integral to Ontario’s health system. RNAO will continue to advocate for the full utilization of NPs across all sectors and settings.
Happy NP Week! Share your message of gratitude and celebration for NPs on social media using #NPWeek2022.