The recently released report of RNAO’s Black Nurses Task Force (BNTF) provides a comprehensive set of recommendations to dismantle anti-black racism and discrimination in nursing. On March 23, 2022, RNAO issued a request to all provincial party leaders to include these recommendations in their platforms for the June 2, 2022 election.
Join us! Call on all provincial party leaders to be an ally and add BNTF recommendations to their election platforms.
Systemic racism is entrenched in the history of nursing and our health-care system, and continues to have a devastating impact on the lived experiences of both racialized nurses and patients. The BNTF was formed, and its report was written, to move beyond solidarity and interrupt complicity to promote transformational change. The report’s priority recommendations include:
- the need for urgent advocacy to address racism against Black nurses
- diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) education and awareness building at individual, organizational and policy levels
- greater mentorship and support for Black nurses
- partnership with allies and stakeholders leading anti-Black racism initiatives
- equitable and fair human resources processes
- a commission to investigate and address racism against Black Canadians
The BNTF has opened the door for everyone to become allies by challenging the injustices of the past and by building a fair and better future for Black nurses and, by extension, all of us. So, join us and call on all provincial party leaders to add the BNTF’s recommendations to their election platforms.
Copy will be sent to the following: