The Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario is funded through the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC), Mental Health and Additions Branch to implement the Mental Health and Addictions Initiative.
The goal of the RNAO Mental Health and Addictions Initiative is to strengthen nurses' capacity and sustain Mental Health and Addictions Best Practices in daily nursing practice.
With a focus on knowledge transfer and integration of best practices into clinical settings, RNAO's Mental Health and Addictions initiative consists of the following elements:
- Development of a Best Practice Guideline entitled Engaging Clients with Substance Use Disorder
- Developing Addictions Best Practice Champions
- Providing evidence based electronic educational resources including E Learn modules and speaker bureau series
- Ongoing educational webinar series (with link and registration
- Facilitating networking of nurses and health care professionals who work or have an interest in Mental Health and Addictions through our on-line RNAO Addictions and Mental Health Community of Practice
- Hosting Mental Health and Addictions Institutes each year
- Mental Health & Addictions Champions Network
- Mental Health & Addictions Opiate Webinar Series
- Mental Health & Addictions Speaker's Bureau: View the following videos related to methadone and addiction treatment.
- First Nations and Aboriginal Youth and Substance Use
- Lynn Haslan: Supporting Clients Methadone Maintenance Treatment
- Lynne Newton: Nurturing Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Nursing and Methadone Maintenance Therapy: Webinar
- Opioids 101: Laying the Foundation
- Pregnancy and Substance Use
For more information on this initiative or to get involved, please contact us.