The Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario is funded through the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC), Mental Health and Additions Branch to implement the Mental Health and Addictions Initiative.
The goal of the RNAO Mental Health and Addictions Initiative is to strengthen nurses' capacity and sustain Mental Health and Addictions Best Practices in daily nursing practice.
With a focus on knowledge transfer and integration of best practices into clinical settings, RNAO's Mental Health and Addictions initiative consists of the following elements:
- Development of a Best Practice Guideline entitled Engaging Clients with Substance Use Disorder
- Developing Addictions Best Practice Champions
- Providing evidence based electronic educational resources including E Learn modules and speaker bureau series
- Ongoing educational webinar series (with link and registration
- Facilitating networking of nurses and health care professionals who work or have an interest in Mental Health and Addictions through our on-line RNAO Addictions and Mental Health Community of Practice
- Hosting Mental Health and Addictions Institutes each year
Mental Health & Addictions Speaker's Bureau
- Lynn Haslan: Supporting Clients Methadone Maintenance Treatment
- Lynne Newton: Nurturing Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
Archived Webinar Series
- Nursing and Methadone Maintenance Therapy- May 13, 2013
- Opioids 101: Laying the Foundation- October 24, 2013
- Pregnancy and Substance Use- December 11, 2013
- First Nations and Aboriginal Youth and Substance Use- January 15, 2014
- Substance Use and Alcohol – Women, Pregnancy and After Birth- June 10, 2014
For more information on this initiative or to get involved, please contact us.