Starting with the new membership year in November 2014, CNA membership is no longer automatic for RNAO members as it was previously. RNAO members will have the option to sign up for membership in the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) with their membership to RNAO. We believe in a strong national body to represent the registered nursing profession across Canada and hope all RNAO members will continue to belong to CNA.
Benefits of CNA Membership
Together with its more than 150,000 members, CNA is a powerful, unified voice for Canada’s registered nurses. The association’s core purpose is to:
- advance the nursing profession federally;
- promote the valuable role of RNs at the federal level;
- help improve the health of all Canadians;
- influence healthy public policy at the federal level; and
- advocate for its members and the crucial role in Canada’s publicly funded, not-for-profit health-care system.
Existing on behalf of its members
As a member-driven association CNA exists on behalf of its members and strives to ensure its member benefits and services are meaningful to RNs. Membership in CNA means:
- benefitting from initiatives like the Ask a Registered Nurse national advertising campaign and the Nurse Practitioners: It’s About Time! public awareness campaign;
- automatic membership in the International Council of Nurses (ICN);
- subscription to the award-winning Canadian Nurse magazine;
- $200 off fees for CNA’s national nursing specialty certification program;
- free access to NurseONE.ca, your online resource for nursing knowledge;
- representation in CNA’s advocacy and policy advancements to Influence healthy public policy at the federal level;
- preferred rates on all CNA products and services, including the biennial national convention and online continuing education courses;
- discounts on many consumer goods and services offerings such as clothing and travel; and
- so much more, with others being added all the time!
Choosing to remain a CNA member will not increase your membership fees from the last membership year.