The voluntary Legal Assistance Program (LAP) was established by RNAO in 1986 to assist nurses with certain legal problems, on a case-by-case basis, related to the professional practice of nursing covering:
- Appearance before the College of Nurses of Ontario as a result of a letter of complaint, a report or other investigations
- Appearances as a witness at an inquest or inquiry resulting from a job related incident
- Appearances under subpoena as a witness in matters arising under the Nursing Act, 1991
- Witness in a court proceeding that concerns an incident relating to the profession of nursing
- Sexual harassment
- Other individual employment-related matters
The program provides financial support for access to legal counsel. This is an optional but essential benefit available at low cost, only to RNAO members.
- Can you afford to risk losing your registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario because you did not have legal representation?
- Will you need legal advice if you lose your job?
The cost is only $64.57 in addition to your RNAO membership. The program provides up to $10,000 in legal expense reimbursement for qualified issues. You must be a member of RNAO and have LAP at the time of the incident.
LAP has provided over one thousand RNAO members with legal expense coverage for issues such as wrongful dismissal, complaints to the College of Nurses of Ontario and subpoenas to serve as a witness. Over 16,000 RNAO members currently subscribe to LAP coverage.
To join LAP now contact the RNAO membership department or call 1-800-567-4527 or (416) 599-1925. Please leave your name, area code and telephone and CNO number.
If you have any questions about LAP, or you need legal assistance, call 1-800-567-4527 or (416) 599-1925 ext 223, or email Mara Haase, our LAP Administrator.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 5:30 – 7:00 pm: Violence & Harassment in the Workplace (Bill 168)
Please use this form to register for the webcast.
Tuesday, May 7, 2013, 5:30 – 7:00 pm: What is the Legal Assistance Program (LAP)?
Archived video of webcast coming soon.