RNAO's annual Media Awards recognize outstanding journalism that contributes to a better understanding of nursing and health-care issues. Awards are given out in multiple categories covering daily newspaper, community newspaper, magazine, radio, television and online publications.
Over the years, we have received entries from media outlets large and small across Ontario. Winning entries have come from the Ottawa Citizen, Globe and Mail, Woodstock Sentinel-Review, Best Health magazine, CBC Radio’s The Current, CTV National News, Global Television, and many more.
The annual competition opens each fall for stories published or broadcast within the calendar year of the competition. The deadline for entries is typically in January.
Submissions and categories
Journalists are encouraged to submit their own work via our online submission form. RNAO members are also invited to nominate journalists, but must do so with the journalist's support.
Stories are scored by an independent panel of judges consisting of nurses and journalists. Categories are announced in the fall of each year, and include awards for daily newspaper, community newspaper, magazine, radio, television and online publications.
- Entries must have been published or broadcast in Ontario.
- All entries must be submitted before the deadline via the online submission form
- Limit of one entry per person. Entrants may not submit a single entry to multiple categories.
- Winners of the previous year's awards are not eligible.
- Trade publications, textbooks, or video/audio productions intended for health-care practitioners or audiences are not eligible.
- Entries must be journalistic in nature, based on research and interviews. Opinion pieces and academic articles are not eligible.
- Materials prepared by RNAO staff or staff of health-related associations are ineligible.
- Entries in the Online, best story category must be published on a website that covers news and/or current events.
- There is no entry fee.
- Information in your application could be used by RNAO when publicizing the awards competition.
- If nominating a story on behalf of a journalist, you must inform the nominee prior to submission.
- A benchmark cumulative score will be determined before judging commences, and winning entries must surpass this predetermined score to be eligible. If no article in a particular category surpasses this benchmark, no award shall be given out.
Winners are announced in spring, and are honoured at RNAO's annual general meeting, which regularly takes place in the spring.
For more information contact Daniel Punch at 1-800-268-7199, ext. 250.