Each year, RNAO honours outstanding journalism that contributes to a better understanding of nurses and the challenges and triumphs of today’s health-care system.
Over the years, we have received entries from media outlets large and small across Ontario. Winning entries have come from the Ottawa Citizen, Globe and Mail, Woodstock Sentinel-Review, Best Health magazine, CBC Radio’s The Current, CTV National News, Global Television, and many more.
Submissions and categories
Journalists are encouraged to submit their own work. RNAO members are also invited to nominate journalists.
Stories are judged on content, writing, analysis, creativity, human interest and community impact by an independent, volunteer panel of judges. Categories are announced in the fall of each year, and include awards for daily newspaper, community newspaper, magazine, radio, television and online publications .
All entries must be submitted before the deadline via the online submission form.
Deadlines and criteria
The annual competition opens each fall for stories published or broadcast within the calendar year of the competition. The deadline for entries is typically in January.
Check back for the most up-to-date deadlines.
General criteria for entries:
- Entries must have been published or broadcast in Ontario.
- Limit of one entry per person.
- Trade publications, textbooks, or video/audio productions intended for health-care practitioners or audiences are not eligible.
- Materials prepared by RNAO staff or staff of health-related associations are ineligible.
- Information in your application could be used by RNAO when publicizing the awards competition.
- There is no entry fee.
Winners are announced in spring, and are honoured at RNAO's Annual General Meeting, which regularly takes place in the spring.
For more information contact Daniel Punch at 1-800-268-7199, ext. 250.