Mental Health Nursing Interest Group (MHNIG)
Cost of Interest Group: $35 for RNs (of total fee, $15 goes to MHNIG, $20 goes to CFMHN) and $17.50 for students
Web site: http://mhnig.rnao.ca/
MHNIG promotes the health and well-being of people who are at risk of experiencing mental illness and/or emotional distress as well as promoting mental health services which are responsive to the needs and wishes of consumers and the community.
A bi-annual newsletter is provided to members. Educational workshops are held as well as an annual provincial meeting. Satellite meetings are held across the province.
Interest Group Objectives:
- As an interest group of RNAO, to actively support the initiatives of RNA
- To provide a forum for communication and the exchange of ideas.
- To lobby for improved mental health/psychiatric care in institutions and in the community.
- To collaborate with mental health consumers/survivors, family groups, and other mental health professionals.
- To lobby on behalf of mental health nursing for the recognition of and positive image of mental health nursing.
- To promote awareness of the roles of mental health nurses and to serve as liaison with RNAO and CNA in promoting certification of mental health nurses.
- To provide professional support for mental health nurses.
- To promote professional growth and adaptation to changing health care trends.
- To encourage formation of satellite groups throughout Ontario.
- To support implementation of standards of practice for mental health nursing.
- To encourage participation of mental health nurses in education and research.