To start building a network of change agents and resources, consider the following strategies:
- Use a pledge campaign encouraging others to declare their support for the change.
- Be aware that some people may join right away; others may not join as quickly due to competing time demands or less prioritizing of the shared concern or strongly desired change.
- Engage with existing groups or networks to determine if there are shared values and concerns that could support collaborative efforts.
- Use communication tools (e.g., intranet, group email, communications board) to promote and share messages regarding the network.
- Determine the goals of the network and the type(s) of social capital needed.
- Develop clear messaging regarding how others can get involved and become a member.
- Use meetings to support change agents to make connections with people and agencies from external settings and/or other networks, as applicable.
SOURCES: Bate et al., 2004a; Campbell, 2020; Carson-Steven et al., 2013; Lippman et al., 2013; Lippman et al., 2016; Waring & Crompton, 2017.