Case study - Sustaining the use of RNAO’s Assessment and Management of Pain Best Practice Guideline across a multi-site long-term care home
The Region of Peel, one of RNAO’s Best Practice Spotlight Organization® (BPSO®) sustained the use of RNAO’s Assessment and Management of Pain best practice guideline (BPG). The Region of Peel started implementing this BPG in 2014 and has sustained its use since. In their 2019 BPSO annual report, they cited a continuous downward trend in the number of clients who reported a worsening of their pain, from 2.9% to 1.4% from 2017 to 2018. Pain experienced by the residents was better controlled, and staff was reported to assess, identify, and manage pain better using the BPG.
Their keys to success include:
- Building on what works (e.g., existing practices, policies).
- Empowering champions.
- Growing the champion network.
- Involving residents and families.
- Support from leaders and partners (RNAO, Peel of Region Leadership, Health Quality Ontario).
- Collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
- Formal evaluation of sustainability.
To learn more about The Region of Peel’s journey in sustaining the use of the Assessing and Managing Pain BPG, along with other BPGs, check out this webinar.