The following articles are provided as highly recommended reading for NPs or hospital administrators who are considering the implementation of NP authority to admit, treat and discharge hospital patients. The jurisdictional review provides a useful backdrop for considering what is being achieved in other countries with NP utilization in hospitals.
- Jurisdictional Review
Research articles and slide deck presentations on the impact NPs have made on health outcomes and related costs continue to garner high levels of interest. Key articles listed below are either referenced where access is limited, or linked where open access is available:
- Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership Special Issue (Dec 2010) focusing on the role of APNs (available free as a PDF online).
- Clinical Nurse Specialists and Nurse Practitioners in Canada: A Decision Support Synthesis available.
- Slide deck presentation of “Clinical Nurse Specialists and Nurse Practitioners in Canada: A Decision Support Synthesis”.
- Canadian Nurse Practitioner Initiative Integration Plan for the Nurse Practitioner Role, 2011.
- Cummings, G., Midodzi, W., Wong, C. & Estabrooks, C. (2010). The contribution of hospital nursing leadership styles to 30-day patient mortality. Nursing Research, 59(5), 331-9.
- Pringle, D. (2007). Nurse practitioner role: Nursing needs it. Nursing Leadership, 20(2), 1-5.
- The HIROC Connection - Winter 2014
- Widening Scope in Health Care: Nurse Practitioners - by Hilary Clark, TVO