August 15, 2007
Summary of Recommendations
1. Reverse the GST tax cut and do not implement additional tax cuts.
2. Immediately begin a public consultation process to develop and implement an anti-poverty strategy, which should include: increasing the minimum wage to $10 per hour; increasing the Canada Child Tax Benefit; increasing transfers to provinces and territories on early living and child care; and increasing spending on social housing.
3. Commit to meeting Canada’s obligations under the Kyoto Protocol and deliver a package of funded climate change programs and regulation that will ensure Canada meets all of its Kyoto obligations on schedule.
4. Increase the use of environmental taxes.
5. Enforce the Canada Health Act and attach firm conditions to federal health transfers.
6. Develop a national, publicly-funded and -controlled pharmacare program covering essential drugs. The federal government should cover 25 per cent of the public cost of drugs.