Healthy Work Environments
The Embracing Cultural Diversity in Health Care: Developing Cultural Competence BPG does not focus directly on cultural competence as it relates to patients, but rather on cultural competence as it relates to the workplace and workforce.
To promote a healthy work environment for nurses by identifying best practices for embracing diversity within health care organizations. The goal is achieved through these objectives:
- Identify culturally competent practices that enhance outcomes for nurses, organizations and systems.
- Identify organizational values, relationships, structures and processes required for developing and sustaining culturally competent practices.
The recommendations in this guideline address:
- Culturally competent practices in the workplace
- Individual competencies, management practices and institutional policies that reflect culturally competent practices
- Transformational strategies for embracing diversity at the level of the individual, group, organization, and health care system
- Educational requirements and strategies to ensure a culturally competent workforce
- Policy changes to support and sustain culturally competent practices
- Future research opportunities
Panel Members (2007)
Chair: Rani Srivastava
Panel Coordinator: Dianna Craig