Action Alert: Taking Action to Mark the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
This year’s theme to mark the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty on October 17 is one that resonates with nurses: “Working together towards a world without discrimination: Building on the experience and knowledge of people in extreme poverty.”
What is RNAO doing on this issue?
Ontario’s next Five-Year Poverty Reduction Plan
- RNAO Open Letter to Premier: Ontario’s RNs implore government to accelerate poverty reduction efforts
- Media Release, August 22, 2013 - Registered nurses demand government make good on its promise to end poverty
- Community-led consultation on Ontario’s next Poverty Reduction Plan, September 24, 2013, co-led by Working for Change and RNAO
- RNAO submission on Ontario’s Poverty Reduction Plan, October 11, 2013
- RNAO Open Letter to Prime Minister and Premier, October 15, 2013
What Can You Do?
- Stop by a community event:
- Complete the online survey to help inform a renewed Poverty Reduction Strategy until October 17, 2013
- Provide online feedback on Ontario’s Minimum Wage before October 18, 2013 deadline
- Attend a rally or community event organized by the Workers’ Action Centre Campaign to raise the minimum wage to 10 per cent above the poverty line ($14/hour in 2013)
- Send the Action Alert below to Prime Minister Harper and Premier Wynne demanding Federal and Provincial governments’ action on poverty. Copies will also be sent automatically to the leaders of the federal and provincial party leaders
- Share this Action Alert broadly with your network, ask them to act on it as well as distribute to others