The Registered Nurses´ Association of Ontario continues to be funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC) and eHealth Ontario to implement the Nursing and eHealth Project.
The purpose of the initiative is to facilitate the nursing profession's involvement in the Ontario eHealth agenda and support nurses to take a leadership role in the adoption of communication and information systems in all health-care settings.
The Project will continue to focus on increasing the nursing profession's understanding of and full participation in Ontario's eHealth Strategy.
The current focus for 2011-12 includes the following activities:
- Continue to develop and refine the communication and information tools to increase awareness of the Ontario eHealth strategy and foster alignment with Nursing and eHealth initiatives;
- Disseminate the eHealth Toolkit to assist in knowledge building, and sharing of best practices in eHealth innovation and eHealth adoption in keeping with Ontario's eHealth strategy focused on chronic disease prevention and management and implementation of an Ontario wide electronic health record (EHR);
- Enhance and revise the eHealth education program;
- Continue to develop Level 1 and Level 2 eHealth Champions who are knowledgeable about Ontario's eHealth strategy and direction, eHealth and quality care, and successful eHealth adoption methods;
- Develop and provide more formal structure to the eHealth Champion role, which will include more links with resources such as the eHealth Toolkit, and specific roles related to the Ontario eHealth strategy;
- Engage with nursing senior administrative and academic leaders to foster appreciation of and involvement in Ontario's eHealth strategy and greater understanding of information based clinical practice and nursing education.
Nursing and eHealth Advisory Committee
The Nursing and eHealth Advisory Committee provides expert input and support to the project. Established in November 2005, the Advisory Committee includes nurses and other stakeholders with informatics and health system expertise relevant to the project.
Learn more about the ehealth project.