Professionalism in nursing is an essential ingredient in achieving a healthy work environment and is enabled by the context of practice.
Overall Goals of the BPG:
- To identify the concept of professionalism as a guiding tenet that enhances outcomes for nurses, patients, organizations and systems.
- To define the attributes of professionalism.
- To identify and discuss the evidence related to each attribute of professionalism.
- To provide strategies for success.
The key areas addressed by this guideline are:
- Identification of a set of attributes that signify professionalism of the nurse
- Evidence from the Joanna Briggs Institute39 systematic reviewG and other literature
- Knowledge, competencies and behaviors of effective nurses who exhibit professional practices in their workplace
- Organizational structures, key elements and processes that support development of effective nursing professional practices