Each year, we honour and celebrate outstanding journalism that contributes to a better understanding of nurses and the challenges and triumphs of working in today’s health-care system.
Over the past 15 years, we have received entries from media outlets across Ontario. Winning entries include, but are not limited to: Ottawa Citizen, The Globe and Mail, Woodstock Sentinel-Review, Burlington Post, Watershed Magazine, Today's Parent, CBC Radio’s The Current, CTV National News, Global Television.
Submissions and categories
Journalists are encouraged to submit their own work. RNAO members are also invited to nominate journalists.
Stories are judged on content, writing, analysis, creativity, human interest and community impact by an independent, volunteer panel of judges.
Categories are announced in early fall of each year; categories include daily newspaper, community newspaper, magazine, radio and television.
Deadlines and criteria
The competition opens in fall of each year. The deadline for entries is typically at the end of January.
Check back for the most up-to-date deadlines.
Submissions must be published between January 1 and December 31 of the year of the competition.
General criteria for each entry are as follows:
- Entries must have been published or broadcast in Ontario.
- There is a limit of one entry, per person, per category.
- Trade publications, textbooks, or video/audio productions intended for health-care practitioners or audiences are not eligible.
- Materials prepared by RNAO staff or staff of health-related associations are ineligible.
- Information in your application could be used by RNAO when publicizing the awards competition.
- Submissions will not be returned.
- There is no entry fee.
A 250-word (maximum) letter accompanying each entry must be submitted, explaining why the story should receive an award. An entry form must also accompany the submission; this is usually made available when the competition opens, in early fall.
Entries are to be directed to the Communications Department of RNAO: 158 Pearl Street, Toronto, ON, M5H 1L3.
Winners are announced in early spring, and are honoured at the association’s Annual General Meeting, which regularly takes place in April.
For more information contact Melissa Di Costanzo by calling 1-800-268-7199, ext. 250.