Smoking Cessation Best Practice Workshop Objectives:
- To develop and enhance knowledge and skills in the application of RNAO’s Smoking Cessation Best Practice Guideline practice recommendations into daily practice.
- To develop knowledge and skills to effectively influence change and facilitate the integration of RNAO’s Smoking Cessation Best Practice Guideline into the workplace organization.
Prerequisites to become a Smoking Cessation Champion:
- Nurses, nursing students and other health care professionals are welcome to become RNAO Smoking Cessation Champions.
- As a pre-requisite of the workshop, participants will complete:
- One of the RNAO Smoking Cessation e-learning course(s) located here: Smoking Cessation eLearning
- Read the RNAO Nursing Best Practice Guideline Integrating Smoking Cessation into Daily Nursing Practice
Role of the Smoking Cessation Champion:
- To help integrate the smoking cessation guideline within their organizations’ policies and systems.
- To network and raise awareness with other nurses and healthcare professionals in their organization about the smoking cessation guideline.
- To participate, and encourage the participation of colleagues, in knowledge exchange and knowledge transfer activities (i.e. Smoking Cessation Champions webinar, online community of practice- RNAO Communities)
- To maintain ongoing communication between the local Smoking Cessation Facilitator in order to share progress, success, challenges and seek assistance.
The benefits of being part of the Smoking Cessation Best Practice Champion Network:
- A one-day education workshop that will develop skills in implementation of best practices and practical smoking cessation techniques.
- Access to a network of Best Practice Guideline Champions within your region and across Canada, established to give ongoing consultation and resources through interactive webinars/teleconferences.
- Tools and resources to assist with implementation of evidence-based practice i.e., standard templates for presentations, flyers and/or posters, updates or fact sheets.
Traveling to attend a workshop
Nurses who must travel to attend a workshop may be eligible to receive reimbursement for travel expenses.
To apply for reimbursement, you must fill out a travel reimbursement request form and submit it BEFORE the workshop .
If approved, you will be required to submit receipts and other relevant documents following the workshop. Please note that reimbursement generally takes 3-6 weeks following receipt of your expense claim.
Travel Reimbursement is made possible through funding from the Government of Ontario’s Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.