Ontario Family Practice Nurses (OFPN)
Contact: Judie Surridge Judie.Surridge@wchospital.ca 416-591-9306
Cost of Interest Group: $50 ($30 for students)
President – Judie Surridge
Vice President – Judith Manson
Secretary – Andrea Goncz
Treasurer – Sue Finnie
Membership Director – Barb Thompson
Communications Director – Kelly Pensom
Member-at-large – Doreen O'Sullivan
Claire Vickery – London
Margaret Budd – Ottawa
2010 OFPN Conference Presentations
- 2010 OFPN Conference Final Agenda
- Adult ADHD
- Advocating for the Role of the Nurse
- Dr. Mottola - Preventing Childhood Obesity
- Family Practice Nurse's Role in Stroke Prevention
- Five Essential Things you need to know about wound care
- Practical On-Line Tools and Resources for Primary Care
- Realizing Potential in the Early Years
- The Family Practice Registered Nurse – The Role Whose Time Has Come!
- Using Motivational Interviewing
- Wading Through the Web
- Spring 2012 Newsletter
- Winter 2012 Newsletter
- Fall 2010 Newsletter [PDF - 2.7 MB]
- Fall 2009 Newsletter [PDF - 2.6 MB]
- CFPC-CNA Vision Statement on Inter-Professional Care [PDF - 47 KB]
- Family Practice: A Nursing Perspective [PDF - 24 KB]
- The Importance of the Registered Nurse in Family Practice in a Transformed Health Care System in Ont [PDF - 16 KB]
The Ontario Family Practice Nurses Interest Group (OFPN) provides resources for nurses working in all areas of Primary Care. These resources include a biennial conference, a newsletter several times each year as well as email notification of educational and professional opportunities. The registration fee as of 2010 includes membership in the Canadian Family Practice Nurses Association (CFPNA).
Since the formation of the CFPNA, there has been a lot of confusion among members, in that some members were under the misunderstanding that membership to OFPN meant automatic membership to the CFPNA (Canadian Family Practice Nurses Association). Or that membership to the CNA, (Canadian Nurses Association) meant automatic membership to CFPNA.
After discussion at the biennial general meeting it was agreed by vote that membership to OFPN and CFPNA be combined. The new membership fee would be $60 annually. This reflects an increase of $10, since OFPN membership was $30 and CFPNA membership was $20. Having a combined provincial and national membership would give members more opportunities for networking and also present a more united front.
OFPN and CFPNA continue to develop an on-going collaborative relationship with RNAO, the Canadian Nurses Association (CNA) as well as the Ontario College of Family Physicians(OCFP) and the Canadian College of Family Physicians(CCFP).
Registered Nurses working in Family Practice / Primary Care face unique challenges. By joining the OFPN/CFPNA you will grow professionally and feel supported by many other nurses sharing the same issues; “valuing quality outcomes, professionalism, collaborative practice and a patient/family centered approach to care from birth to end of life”.
In some areas of Ontario there are active groups (Chapters) who meet regularly to offer support and networking opportunities on a local level. If you are interested in joining one of the groups identified on our registration form, please complete the form and send it to me. For those who do not pay their OFPN membership fees through RNAO, you must mail in the form with a cheque for $60 made out to Ontario Family Practice Nurses.
For more information about CFPNA, please check their website at www.cfpna.ca.
Barbara Thompson, OFPN Membership Chair